How to update your Tuulikki theme
Recommended Reading: Good things to know before updating Tuulikki Theme.
Method 1 (Manual Update)
This method is recommended if you are updating your Tuulikki from a version before 5.0.0. If you want to update a version after 5.0.0. please follow “Method 2 (Auto-update)” down below.
- Download the latest version available of your Tuulikki theme from your marketplace (or from the Sparrow&Snow website).
- Unzip this first folder.
- Within the unzipped theme package, together with the other folders (Demo Import Files, Guides, etc), locate a zipped file called “Tuulikki-v500.zip” (The number 500 indicates the current version number, so it may differ when you download your file). This file is the main theme and it should not be unzipped.
- Optional step: At this point, you probably want to install a “maintenance plugin” that will display a “coming soon page” on your website, until when you are done with the update. In this way, your audience will not see strange things happening to your website while you update it. Our recommendation is to install and activate the plugin WP Maintenance Mode.
- Within your WordPress Dashboard, navigate to Appearance > Themes.
- Activate a random default theme (for example TwentyNineteen). It does not matters which one.
- Delete the old version of the Tuulikki theme.
Important! If you don’t deactivate and delete the old version of the theme, you will incur in this error: “Destination Folder Already Exists, WordPress Theme Install Failed”. Please note that you can only remove a deactivated theme. So, if you want to delete your actual working theme, you need to activate another one, such as the default theme from WordPress.
If for some server reason, you cannot delete the theme via your WP Dashboard, you can remove it via FTP or by asking to the support service of your hosting provider.
- Click the “Add New” button at the top-left of the page.
- Click the “Upload Theme” button at the top.
- Click “Choose File” > locate your zipped “Tuulikki-v500.zip” file.
- Click the “Install Now” button.
- After installing, you can “Activate” it via the installation page or via Appearance > Themes by clicking on the “Activate button”.
Important Step! If you have the plugin Advanced Custom Fields (ACF) activated, please deactivate it and delete it. From version no.5, this plugin is no longer required since it’s included directly into the theme. If you keep the plugin activated, you will experience some errors.
- Check that everything looks fine by navigating through some pages of your website
- Optional step: Deactivate the maintenance plugin activated before.
- Your website is ready and updated!
Method 2 (Auto-update)
If you already registered your Tuulikki theme (See our article https://sparrowandsnow.com/tuulikki/documentation/how-to-register-your-tuulikki-theme/ ) you will have access to the auto-update feature, which will allow you to save a lot of time in updating your theme. You would just need to:
- Click on the “Check for Updates” Tab in your Tuulikki Panel
- If there are new updates for your theme, you will see a notification “New version available. Update now!”. Click on “Update now!”.